Rhubarb is a plant that is often used in pies and jams however did you know that it can also be poisonous to animals?
While the leaves of the plant are the most toxic part the stem can also be harmful if consumed in large quantities.
If you have a pet guinea pig it’s important to be aware of what they can and cannot eat to keep them healthy.
So can guinea pigs eat rhubarb?
The short answer is no guinea pigs should not eat rhubarb.
The leaves and stems of the plant contain oxalic acid which can be poisonous to animals if consumed in large quantities.
Even a small amount of rhubarb can cause stomach upset and diarrhea in guinea pigs.
If your pet ingests any part of the plant it’s important to monitor them closely and seek veterinary care if they start to show any signs of illness.
While the occasional nibble on a leaf or stem probably won’t hurt your guinea pig it’s best to err on the side of caution and keep them away from rhubarb entirely.
There are plenty of other safe and healthy foods they can enjoy so there’s no need to take the risk.
Rhubarb leaves contain oxalic acid which is poisonous to guinea pigs.
The stems of the plant may be safe for them to eat in small quantities but the leaves are definitely off-limits.
If your guinea pig does manage to eat some rhubarb leaves it is important to seek medical attention immediately as they could potentially die from it.
So to sum it up no guinea pigs cannot eat rhubarb.
The leaves of the plant are poisonous to them and should be avoided at all costs.
If your guinea pig does manage to eat some seek medical attention right away.