Most people think of snakes as being cold-blooded creatures that are immune to heat. However snakes can actually burn themselves if they’re not careful. Here’s what you need to know about how snakes can burn themselves and how to prevent it from happening to your pet snake.
How Do Snakes Burn Themselves?
Snakes can burn themselves in a number of ways. The most common is by coming into contact with something that’s too hot like a hot rock or a heat lamp. Snakes can also burn themselves by rubbing against something that’s abrasive like sandpaper.
When a snake rubs against something hot or abrasive it damages the scales on its body. This damage can lead to burns which can be serious and even deadly for snakes.
How To Prevent Your Snake From Burning Itself
The best way to prevent your snake from burning itself is to provide a safe warm environment for it to live in. Here are a few tips:
- Use a heat lamp to provide warmth but make sure the bulb is not too hot. Place the heat lamp on one side of the enclosure so your snake can move away from the heat if it gets too warm.
- Provide a hiding place for your snake to retreat to when it gets too warm. A hollow log or a cardboard box with a hole cut in it will work.
- Avoid using hot rocks as a heat source. These can get too hot and damage your snake’s scales.
- Be careful when handling hot objects in your snake’s enclosure. Don’t place hot objects like lamps or heating pads directly on the ground where your snake can come into contact with them.
- Inspect your snake’s enclosure regularly to make sure there are no potential hazards.
If you follow these tips you can help prevent your snake from burning itself.
However even if you take all the necessary precautions accidents can still happen. If you think your snake has been burned contact your veterinarian immediately.