While it is true that snakes are not typically known for their love of water they can actually benefit from having access to clean fresh water.
Water is essential for all life and that includes snakes. Snakes use water for many different purposes such as hydration thermoregulation and shedding their skin.
In the wild snakes will often be seen basking in the sun near water sources and they will also drink from puddles and ponds.
While tap water is not typically ideal for drinking it can be a safe and healthy option for snakes. The key is to make sure that the water is clean and free of any chemicals or contaminants.
There are a few things to keep in mind when giving your snake tap water:
- Make sure the water is clean. This means using filtered or distilled water if possible.
- Avoid using water that has been treated with chemicals such as chlorine or fluoride.
- Change the water regularly. Snakes are messy drinkers and their water will quickly become contaminated with their saliva and shed skin.
- Offer both fresh and salt water. While most snakes will prefer fresh water some species will require salt water for shedding.
- Be sure to provide a hiding spot. Snakes feel vulnerable when they are out in the open so be sure to provide them with a place to hide. This can be a simple cardboard box or an aquarium with a lid.
By following these simple tips you can provide your snake with the clean fresh water they need to stay healthy and happy.