Wood shavings are a common bedding material used for many different types of animals including reptiles. But can you use them for snakes?
The short answer is yes you can use wood shavings for snakes. However there are a few things to keep in mind if you choose to use them as bedding for your reptilian friend.
One of the main concerns with using wood shavings as bedding for snakes is the potential for them to ingest the shavings while they are shedding their skin. If your snake ingests too much of the wood shavings it could cause an obstruction in their digestive system.
Another concern is that the shavings could harbor bacteria or other harmful parasites that could make your snake sick. If you choose to use wood shavings as bedding it is important to make sure that you purchase them from a reputable source and that you clean them thoroughly before using them.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind if you choose to use wood shavings as bedding for your snake:
- Purchase them from a reputable source: Make sure that you purchase your wood shavings from a reputable source. This will help to ensure that the shavings are free of bacteria and other harmful parasites.
- Clean them thoroughly: Before using the wood shavings make sure to clean them thoroughly. This can be done by boiling them in water for a few minutes.
- Avoid using treated wood: If possible try to avoid using treated wood. The chemicals in the treated wood could be harmful to your snake.
- Avoid using cedar: Cedar is a type of wood that is often used in reptile bedding. However it is important to avoid using cedar shavings as they can contain harmful oils that can be toxic to snakes.
- Change the bedding regularly: It is important to change the bedding regularly especially if you have a snake that sheds frequently. This will help to prevent the build-up of bacteria and other harmful parasites.
If you follow these tips you can use wood shavings as bedding for your snake. Just make sure to purchase them from a reputable source clean them thoroughly and change the bedding regularly.