Guinea pigs are social animals that enjoy being around other guinea pigs and humans.
They generally like being picked up and will often seek out attention from their owners.
While some guinea pigs may not be too fond of being held for long periods of time most enjoy being picked up and will often stay still in their owner’s arms.
How To Pick Up Guinea Pigs Properly?
When it comes to picking up guinea pigs there are a few things that you need to keep in mind in order to do it properly.
For starters you need to make sure that you are using both hands when picking them up.
This is important because it will help to keep them balanced and prevent them from falling.
Another thing to keep in mind is to always support their back end.
This is important because guinea pigs have fragile spines and if you don’t support their back end they could easily be injured.
Finally make sure that you are gentle when picking them up.
Guinea pigs are delicate creatures and they can easily be injured if you are not careful.
If you follow these tips you should be able to pick up your guinea pig properly without any problems.
- Approach your guinea pig slowly and calmly. If they seem scared or nervous stop and give them a moment to acclimate.
- Scoop them up from underneath using both hands to support their body.
- Bring them close to your chest and rest their head on your shoulder.
- Support their back legs with your hand and be careful not to squeeze too tightly.
- If they seem agitated or uncomfortable put them back down and try again later.