Ideally, you should change your guinea pig’s bedding once a week. This will help to keep them clean and comfortable, and will also prevent any potential health problems.
If you are unable to change the bedding every week, then every two weeks should be sufficient.
What type of bedding should you use for your guinea pig?
There are a variety of beddings that you can use for your guinea pig, but the most important thing is to make sure that it is safe for them. Some popular options include:
- Paper-based bedding: This is a good option as it is absorbent and soft, and your guinea pig will be able to burrow in it.
- Straw: This is another absorbent option that your guinea pig will be able to burrow in.
- Wood shavings: This is a less popular option as it can be dusty, but it is absorbent and will provide your guinea pig with a place to burrow.
How to change your guinea pig’s bedding:
- Start by removing all of the old bedding from the cage. You can either throw it away or compost it.
- Next, you will need to clean the cage. You can do this with mild soap and water, or you can use a specially made cage cleaner.
- Once the cage is clean, you can add the new bedding. Make sure to add enough so that your guinea pig can burrow and play in it.
- Finally, add some hay and fresh vegetables for your guinea pig to enjoy.
How To Change Guinea Pig Bedding?
- Start by removing all of the old bedding. This can be done by scooping it out with a shovel or by carefully vacuuming it up.
- Once the old bedding is removed, take a moment to clean the guinea pig’s cage. Wipe down the walls and floors with a mild disinfectant.
- Now it’s time to add fresh bedding. There are a variety of bedding options available for guinea pigs, but care should be taken to avoid materials that could be harmful if ingested. Some good choices include recycled paper products, aspen shavings, or kiln-dried pine shavings.
- Once the fresh bedding is in place, give your guinea pig’s cage a good once-over to make sure there are no sharp edges or other hazards that could harm your pet.
- That’s it! You’ve successfully changed your guinea pig’s bedding.